James Franco is an American actor, director, producer, and writer. He was born on April 19, 1978, in Palo Alto, California. Franco’s father, Douglas Eugene Franco, was of Portuguese and Swedish descent, while his mother, Betsy Lou (née Verne), was of Russian Jewish descent.
Franco attended Palo Alto High School, where he became interested in acting. He went on to study at the University of California, Los Angeles (UCLA), where he majored in English and creative writing. He also took acting classes at the Playhouse West and the Robert Carnegie Playhouse.
Franco’s breakthrough role came in the NBC television series “Freaks and Geeks” (1999–2000). He then went on to star in the Spider-Man trilogy (2002–2007) as Harry Osborn. He received critical acclaim for his performance in the biographical film “James Dean” (2001), for which he was nominated for a Golden Globe award.
In addition to his acting career, Franco has also directed and produced films. His directorial debut was the film “The Ape” (2005), which he also wrote and starred in. He has since directed several other films, including “Child of God” (2013) and “The Disaster Artist” (2017), which he also produced and starred in.
Franco is also an accomplished writer. He has published a collection of short stories titled “Palo Alto” (2010), which was adapted into a film of the same name in 2013. He has also written several screenplays, including “The Disaster Artist” (2017) and “As I Lay Dying” (2013), which he also directed and starred in.
Franco has been the subject of controversy throughout his career. In 2018, he was accused of sexual misconduct by several women, which he denied. He has since settled some of the lawsuits that were brought against him.
Despite the controversy, Franco continues to act, direct, and write. He has received numerous awards for his work, including a Golden Globe award for Best Actor for his performance in “The Disaster Artist.”
James Franco Net-worth
As of my knowledge cutoff date of September 2021, James Franco’s net worth was estimated to be around $30 million USD. However, net worth can vary depending on various factors such as investments, earnings, expenses, and other financial factors. It is important to note that net worth estimates may change over time due to fluctuations in the entertainment industry and personal financial decisions.
James Franco Popular Movies
James Franco has appeared in many popular movies throughout his career. Some of his most notable and popular movies include:
- Spider-Man trilogy (2002–2007) – Franco played the role of Harry Osborn in these superhero movies.
- Pineapple Express (2008) – A comedy-action film in which Franco played the role of a drug dealer.
- Milk (2008) – A biographical film based on the life of Harvey Milk, in which Franco played the role of Milk’s lover, Scott Smith.
- 127 Hours (2010) – A biographical survival drama in which Franco portrayed real-life adventurer Aron Ralston.
- Rise of the Planet of the Apes (2011) – A science-fiction film in which Franco played a scientist who creates a virus that gives apes intelligence.
- This Is the End (2013) – A comedy film in which Franco played a fictionalized version of himself, alongside other celebrities.
- The Disaster Artist (2017) – A biographical comedy-drama in which Franco played the role of Tommy Wiseau, the director of the cult classic film The Room.
These movies were well received by critics and audiences alike and helped establish Franco as a versatile and talented actor.